Gyula and its neighbourhood - in the spirit of culture Gyula is situated in the South-Eastern part of the Great Hungarian Plain, on the left bank of the Fehér-Körös river, next to the Romanian border. In the town with about 33.000 inhabitants, people of Hungarian, German and Romanian origin have been living in peace together for many decades. Gyula is the centre of the Romanian minority in Hungary as well as that of the only Hungarian orthodox bishopric. This religious and cultural diversity is preserved in the town, which can be experienced when strolling along the friendly streets or taking a break in the shadowy squares.
János Harruckern started having the palace near the Castle Spa constructed in the 1720s. After two fires it was rebuilt in copf style in 1801, then from 1888 to 1944 it was the residence of the Almásy family. Since then the condition of the palace has significantly deteriorated, these days it stands uninhabited.
The town-house of late baroque style next to the 100-year-old Confectioner's was built after the fire of 1801. The memorial museum was arranged on the property bequeathed by the Ladics family. It allows us to get an idea of how a middle-class family lived in the countryside in the 19th century. The objects, furniture, dresses have remained untouched for five generations.
The most significant attraction of the town is the Castle Spa, which was established in the 8,5-acre park of the Almásy-palace. The 72°C thermal water welling up from as deep as 2004 metres with its composition of alkali – hydrocarbonate – chloride is exceptionally appropriate to treat locomotor, and gynaecological diseases, to cure chronic nerve disorders, as well as for rehabilitation after accidents and operations. In the 2000 m² large medical centre a wide variety of treatments are available.
Once the Gents Club in Kossuth Street now serves as the Chamber room of the Gyula Castle theatre. From Autumn till Spring this building is home to theatre performances, poetry evenings, concerts and dance houses. In the hall of the Chamber room a Chamber Gallery was opened in 1999, where art and photo exhibitions of famous artists are on display.
Gyulavári had been an independent settlement until it was officially connected to Gyula in 1971. The Wenckheim-Almássy Palace can be found here, whose reconstruction had been completed by September 2007, when it was also turned into a museum. The aim of the Visitors' Centre is to present the ethnographical, cultural, natural – environmental as well as economic development of the Southern - Plain region.
The name of the town is associated with some sad memories of the 1848/49 War of Independence. After the capitulation at Világos 1300 prisoner soldiers were taken to Gyula, to be disarmed there and handed over to the Austrian authorities. Out of the 13 officers later executed in Arad 9 had previously been carried to Gyula, and been captured in prison till their execution. The group of sculptures near the castle consisting of nine coloumns commemorates them.
Why not have a walk downtown, Old buildings, shadowy parks remind us of the bygone days. The live-water canal and its surrounding, the ornamented dwell in Petőfi square, or the Catholic Big Church in Harrucken square are all within walking distance. Reaching Kossuth square you can take delight in the latest attraction of the town: the joyful arrangement of the fountains.
The collection showing the craftsmanship period of the meat industry of Gyula as well as the development of the large-scale production is housed again in its original place, in the building of the slaughterhouse of Gyula. All this was made possible thanks to the cooperation of the butchers of the town, the János Corvin Museum and the Traditionalist Association of the butchers of Gyula.