The School of Németgyula and the teacher’s house were built in 1795. In 1821 the house that served as a school and home for the teachers’ families was extended to provide an additional classroom. The wing of the house facing the square accommodated the school, while the one facing Ajtóssy Street was the teacher’s residence. The part of the house designated for the school deteriorated considerably in the winter of 1829-1830 and partially collapsed. Subsequently, the house in its current form was rebuilt by Mihály Nuszbek at the end of 1830. The teachers’ house, which was also home to the choirmaster of the town at that time, acquired its final Neoclassical form after a renovation that took place in 1830. A teacher named József Erkel arrived from Bratislava in 1806. He lived and taught in this school until 1841. József Erkel had a son born in this house on 7 November in 1810.
The son, Ferenc Erkel, would later become well-known as the composer of the National Anthem of Hungary and the creator of the Hungarian national opera. The exhibition opens with an area of interactive terminals presenting the anthems of Europe, followed by a room dedicated to European music. Four sons of Ferenc Erkel were also musicians, albeit not very famous but equally precocious. Thus, a third room was made and is now dedicated to their work and contributions. In addition to his musical fame, Ferenc Erkel was a very good chess player. An annual chess competition, which bears his name, is conducted to celebrate this aspect of his life. The bedroom, living room and kitchen are reminiscent of the past rustic lifestyle of the Erkel family and the era, in general.